Stewarts Office Plants

We supply many businesses across the South, from Sussex and Surrey, through Hampshire and Dorset to Wiltshire and Somerset. For more information about the services we offer visit our home page, or contact us here. In this blog you'll find news, interesting snippets, stories and pictures of our staff's adventures out on the road.

Friday, March 01, 2019

Farewell, T-card board!

Bit of a silly post, this.

As long term readers will know, I have posted a couple of times about the imminent move to our new greenhouse. 

Well, it's finally only a few weeks away, and we are either transferring stock across, or furiously de-cluttering the old greenhouse.

When I started at Stewarts in 2002 the maintenance contracts were arranged on an old-fashioned T-card board. Each member of staff has a week 1 and week 2 column, then days of the week go down the left-hand side, then each client has a card. Rearranging the rotas was the (theoretically) simple act of moving cards from place.

It didn't take me long to realise I needed an electronic version of our rotas, which I rapidly created.

However some of my longer-serving staff claimed that they actually looked at this for reference, so my occasional attempts to get rid of it were vetoed. Finally at a staff meeting this week it became clear no one cared any more, so this morning I said a few words, then threw it in the metal skip.

Now no longer will I confuse the hell out of myself trying to rearrange several rotas at once, ending up with little piles of T-cards all over my desk.

I'm almost getting nostalgic already!

Jonathan