Stewarts Office Plants

We supply many businesses across the South, from Sussex and Surrey, through Hampshire and Dorset to Wiltshire and Somerset. For more information about the services we offer visit our home page, or contact us here. In this blog you'll find news, interesting snippets, stories and pictures of our staff's adventures out on the road.

Monday, September 23, 2019

Feature plant (family): succulents

Mixed succulents
Houseplants have suddenly become rather fashionable, and being an old hand at this kind of thing I'm suppressing the desire to say "I told you they were great!"

Having worked in an era where a few large statement plants were the thing, I am having to adapt to the fact that the aim suddenly appears to make your home (or heaven forbid: office) look like your gran's lounge did in the 1970s, i.e. lots of little plants everywhere.

Even those macrame hangers are back, though I still await the return of those glass globes my mother used to have hanging in them.

One thing that seems to have become super-popular is succulents, and I can understand why: certainly if getting in to house plants for the first time, something that needs very little watering is a winner.

The only issue I am having is that there seem to be quite an array of names and I'm just not that up on them. I need to know the Latin names of plants as we order them in Latin from Holland. In fact we order them in Latin with a little bit of English and Dutch thrown in.

Fear not! Holland sell trays of 'mixed succulents', like the picture top left so I don't need to, though I can tell you that there are two kinds of Crassulas and some Echeverias in there, though the two at the front I have no idea on.

One I do know is a rather delicate trailing succulent called a Rhipsalis, which comes in quite a variety of types. I mention it as we have a client in Bournemouth who has them hanging from the roof all over the place in macrame hangers. Not the one shown below; though I rather like these with their built-in water indicator and hope to sell some soon.

Jonathan

Rhipsalis (Cassutha, since you asked)
Planter in macrame hanger with built in water indicator